Tuesday, August 11, 2009

First came Financial Edge

Financial Edge was implemented before I started at ALS. At that time, we had one Novell server and everything ran on it. We decided to build a Microsoft network and began the move to three servers. One server was a file and print server and ran Microsoft Exchange, one was a database server and we kept our clone Novell server and converted it to Microsoft so we could run Sharepoint Services, Trackit (our helpdesk application) and Windows Update Services.

We moved from a DOS application called Champion to FE. We decided to start fresh and not bring in the history. We kept Champion running for a few years so we could pull reports if we needed them.

I am not a financial expert in any way. I support the application, administer it, do financial reporting and support the integration. I am comfortable with the Visual Chart Organizer (VCO).

The most important decision for us was developing/improving upon our chart of accounts. When I started we decided that we should do a little overhaul and add more projects. The difficult discussions always seemed to revolve around what we termed "buckets". What bucket should the money go in to. At first, I'll admit, I couldn't understand why all the general unrestricted income couldn't go into a general bucket. I soon realized that its all about the reporting. So I learned a few things come into account: what the board needed to see, what the donor needed to see, what our executives needed to see, and what our auditors expect to see.

Lessons I've learned at this point
  • IT and Development need to work with the Finance department
  • The Finance department needs to work with IT and Development

A note on this: I've seem this to be a big obstacle especially if you want to integrate FE and RE. As you will see in future posts, we recognize the fund in RE to belong to the Finance department. The fund directly associates with the project code in FE.

  • Ask the question: what do you want to see in your reports

We are still working through issues that we thought we had planned for in our reporting needs. It isn't cut and dry as to which system you will use to pull your reports.

  • Be consistent

I've learned when I'm building reports that doing things consistently across the board allows you to use logic that applies in all instances.

  • Be prepared for change

No matter how much time you plan preparing - no matter how much discussion you have - you will have to change something in the future. know that you can do this. Implementing any application is and should be a dynamic, continuing experience. As applications are improved; as you learn more about your requirements and become more knowledgeable; as people change in the organization - your application will change. I've learned to be open to it - in fact, embrace the change.

More on FE in my next post...


No comments:

Post a Comment